[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

Re: Apache authentication m

        Reply to:   RE>>Apache authentication module

Jenni,
  I've been pretty busy, haven't had a chance to get back to you on this.

The "scheme" is as follows:
  1. add another module to the apache source code. This involves
      editing the configuration file and running configure to create the
      new makefile.
   2.  There is an auth module (mod_auth_msql.c) that ships with it
     which accesses msql.  This is a pretty good approximation of
    what you have to do.  You have to decide on how you are going to
    supply this code with the information that _it_ needs to log into
    Sybase: server, database, username and password.  Do not
    confuse this username/password with what the web client
    supplies, unless you want to create a sybase login/user for
    each of your web clients.  In this latter case, you can just pass
    these along and if you get a successful sybase login, you can
     procede to the group part.
   3. You need to write the database code (probably stored procedures)
       that will answer the three questions (username, password,group)
      required for authentication.
    4.  You need to write some kind of utility that populates and maintains
      the username/password/group stuff in the database itself.  This is
      a matter of creating the tables, writing the sprocs, and writing some
      kind of client process to maintain this data.

  Rather than write a thesis here, I think I'll wait for specific
questions.  The price is the same as Apache, and the support is too!
(You get what you pay for.)
Good luck.
Mike Yost